Day 1: November 27, 2008
Almost Knoxville
Previous Day
Next Day
Site Home
Trip Home

The Covington-Cincinnati Suspension Bridge was only about fifty years old when the Dixie Highway first crossed the river on it. I intended to leave Cincinnati on the bridge, renamed to John A. Roebling Bridge in 1983, but my way was blocked. Even though the 99th Thanksgiving Day Run & Walk wouldn't actually cross the bridge, road blocks on one-way streets made it impossible to drive across the bridge from the north. I reached the northern end of the bridge by crossing on another bridge then driving north.

I've since learned that a record 11520 people finished the 10K race; The sixth oldest in the country. The first event was in 1908 but no races were held in 1918 (World War I) and 1936 (management issues).

I believe the Dixie may have originally ran along Greenup Street but that is now one-way north so I started out on Scott Street then soon turned onto Pike Street. A young clean-shaven Lincoln stands at the corner of Scott and 5th. Painter and Covington native Frank Duveneck stands along Pike. I don't want to belittle Mr. Duveneck but I was actually more interested in the marker standing beside him. It tells of a Dixie Highway predecessor, the Covington & Lexington Turnpike.

I didn't realize that the Anchor Grill, where I've enjoyed breakfast several times, was on the Dixie. I understand the long lived eatery can be a most interesting spot in the wee hours. The 1925 Water Company building is on the south side of the road as it winds up hill on the way out of Covington.

Both the "tin tepee" and the old gas station are places Chris and I stopped at in 2001. The station has been spruced up a bit and looks to be home to a gift shop sort of place. The tepee is a bit south of Williamstown. The Shell station is south of Corinth.

The pictures in between are from a goof but it was a good goof. When I plot a route, I try to include older alignments that I know of or spot on the map. That's what I thought I was driving when my GPS sent me down Blanchet Road. But the name didn't sound familiar and I later figured out that the GPS had simply guided me along a shorter path that I hadn't been clever enough to avoid. I had seen a couple of high narrow viaducts crossing over the railroad tracks and actually welcomed the chance to cross one. Maybe I didn't question the "turn left" instruction very closely. There's a closer look here.

I really liked the tastefully decorated courthouse in Richmond and thought the row of old buildings looked good, too. The hotel at the far right of that row is now apartments.

I plotted most of this section using information from the Dixie Highway section of Robert V. Droz's wonderful site (Thanks again, Robert.) but this bit came from a waymarking site. During the time that Scaffold Cane Road carried the Dixie, some efficient folks placed this combination milestone, road sign, and county line marker beside it. Hidden by the grass in my picture is the mileage to Richmond (8 1/2) and Mount Vernon (14).

I spotted the murals as soon as I entered the little town of Livingston then came back for pictures after seeing the unique memorial park a bit further on. The eagle topped monument remembers PFC David Smith who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor during the Korean War.

The Wilderness Road appears in one of those murals in Livingston and I had planned to follow a section of it I had spotted on a map. However, when I saw that it was gravel, I decided that wouldn't be prudent and drove on by. The Road is also mentioned on the other side of this Skaggs Trace sign. At Hazel Patch, I turned off of the Dixie just far enough to see the other end of the section I had opted to bypass. That's it at the left of the second picture and I feel pretty sure it wouldn't have been a problem.

I reached Tennessee and again drove the section of US-25 I was first on two years ago. It's still a great drive and there is still a shortage of photo taking locations. The light was going fast as I reached Powell and the few independent motels I had seen were not too inviting. I headed toward the expressway and a chain motel. After checking into an OK Knight's Inn, I went looking for food. I had seen an open Waffle House earlier and kind of thought that would be the source of my Thanksgiving feast. But I was pleasantly surprised to find an open -- and very busy -- Crackerbarrel. The special was, of course, turkey & dressing and I ate my first "traditional" Thanksgiving meal in four years.

[Prev] [Site Home] [Trip Home] [Contact] [Next]